9/03/2011

Olde Schoolhouse Quilters 13th Annual Quilt Show - Part 1

I just love everything about quilt shows!  There's always something to inspire & usually there's a "boutique" where you can pick up some pretty good bargains (more about that on later posts - I hope!).  So, when a friend asked me to join her at the 13th annual quilt show in Westcliffe, Colorado, I jumped at the chance - the scenery on the drive out there is spectacular & the quilts were, too - I think you'll agree!



The venue:  Old Westcliff Schoolhouse Museum
304 S. 4th
Westcliffe, CO

September 1 - 4, 2011
10:00 am - 5:00 pm Daily

Westcliffe Tour


Here is The Olde Schoolhouse Quilters Raffle Quilt - appropriately named "Westcliffe Spectacular".  I bought some tickets & my fingers are really crossed!

Tammie Baggett (Designs to Quilt) quilted it in copper metallic thread that added a glorious shimmer.  It was pieced by many in the Guild & the binding was superb!

(Sorry about the pink block - bottom right in photo - I assure you it's a camera malfunction - not a fabric choice!)





The Guild's challenge for 2011 required the quilters to add three different style fabric borders to a panel.  These were not your ordinary "add a couple of straight borders & call it done" projects!  (I must confess to making more than a few of these!  Now, I'll have some great ideas in my repertoire!) 

This lovely Oriental Wall Hanging took 1st place in the challenge.  It was made & quilted by Leilani Robinson & includes:
            hand beading
            free motion quilting
            origami buttons (!) &
            hand embellishing.





 This creative quilt is called "Drivers' Training".  It was made & quilted by Kathy Metcalfe.  There's lots going on in this quilt, but my favorite part is the velcro-attached "garages" on the bottom border.  They provide removable storage for little cars - great idea!

This quilt kept me amused for quite some time - think of what it would do for the little ones!



I have this fabric panel in my stash - it's by Stephanie Brandenburg from her Day Dreams Collection - truly lovely.  However, I didn't envision a quilt such as this! 

Sue Davidson created several borders including one that is made of  hand-strung beads (lapis, turquoise, cornelion & glass) with lots of quilting (what I would call "thread painting") & embellishing - wow!





"Moonlit Canine" made & quilted by Judy Elkington was spectacular!  She cut up her pre-printed wolf panel so that it appeared to be a mosaic piece of art.  Her borders included piping, pieced & paper-pieced (my favorite!).  The wolf pieces were applied with fusible web & then machine quilted. 

I like how she rounded the fabric "tiles" instead of leaving them angular.  I'll never look at another wildlife panel the same again!

Well, that's enough for now.  Part 2 coming soon!  If you're in the area, there's still time to get in on that raffle quilt.  But, I think I'm going to win it, so you might just spend your $ in the boutique instead :)

No comments: