12/07/2014

HotPad Project

I have the best of intentions:  I collect massive amounts of information on a quilting topic before I attempt it.  And, after all that, I can never put my fingers on it when I need it!  Oh well, I figure the important stuff will stick.  And, since circumstances are always different, you just have to DO it & hope for a certain amount of grace.  Hope is a wonderful thing - don't you think?

Hotpad Project
I found a lovely project (near the bottom of the page): ThimbleMouseandSpouse Blogspot 
& Snowman people fabric I really liked from my stash.

Since my center feature was a different size, I adjusted all measurements - not a big deal.  

But, I absolutely refuse to apply Binding to a project <12" finished size.  So, a slim outer border that looks like Binding was improvised.   

Note that I now have to sew my project, right-sides-together with Backing Fabric & Batting & Insul-Bright & turn & hand-stitch the opening closed.  Things are getting kind of thick.

I stitch in the ditch & give definition to the borders - liking it!
Then, I remember a lovely free-motion Snowflake quilting design from the AQ (American Quilter) Magazine, November 2014 Issue.  It really is the sweetest design - trust me.  Three rows are perfect to offset my Snowflakes & I mark w/my new Frixion Pen (heat activated removal - perfect for a HotPad).  The marking works wonderfully - thanks PJ.

But, after ripping out my free-motion Snowflakes three times, I decide to do some straight stitching w/my trusty Walking Foot. 

Ooohhh - all that thickness starts to distort my Snowpeople HotPad.  I sew a few lines across the Top & Bottom to help straighten - oops - should have used my Frixion to mark first.  (Snowflakes don't fall horizontally, so I hadn't marked before.)


O.K., now it's boring.  I sleep on it.  

The next day (ripped stitches forgotten), I decide to add a few free-motion touches to my Center to make it pop.  



I remember that my previous Snowflakes were attempted with feed-dogs up for more control - like regular sewing.  This was suggested for free-motion quilting novices & had worked well for me with other projects.  However, with all the extra padding, this was NOT the thing to do!  


Now, my free-motion went much more smoothly.  And, I managed to make a Snowflake (alright - it does look like a flower).  But, I'm happy & DONE - grace will be there another day, I'm sure :)   love, faith.


 

1 comment:

Jackie Lemster said...

I sooo Love these...but then I love everything you do !! Maybe if I start now I can get them done for 2015 Christmas hehe. Thanks for sharing :)